Wednesday, July 13, 2011

What's Cookin' Good Lookin' Wednesday

Happy Wednesday everyone!

I'm going to have to start trying out more recipes because I'm starting to feel like I'm running out of good ones to post about!  Today I decided to post a breakfast/ snack recipe.  I'm not a breakfast eater I must admit, and yes I know it is way healthier to eat breakfast blah blah blah.  I just don't wake up hungry people!  My solution to this is to find breakfast items I can grab as I walk out the door and then eat when I get to work.  We're so slow in the mornings, I eat out of boredom.

I tried a granola recipe that I found online not too long ago and I wasn't impressed.  I think if I had baked it less than the recipe called for I would have liked it better.  So after this disappointing attempt, I was so excited when kitty daddy's mom gave me a book of granola recipes called Granola Madness: The Ultimate Granola Cookbook by Katherine Dieter and Donna Wallston. 

photo credit
This thing is a gold mine people! I haven't tried them yet but I want to share the recipe I'm dying to try first.

Gingerbread Granola
4 C rolled oats
1 C whole wheat pastry flour
1 t cinnamon
1 t ginger
1/4 t cloves
1/4 t nutmeg
1/2 t cardamom
pinch of salt
1 C pecans
1/4 C melted butter, or canola oil
1/2 C honey
1/4 C molasses
1/2 C dried apricots or dates (optional) {I would opt out on these bad boys}

Preheat oven 325 degrees
Warm honey, molasses, spices and melted butter( or canola oil) while stirring.
Combine oats, flour, and pecans in a large bowl.
Pour in the liquid mixture and combine thoroughly.
Spread in thin layer on baking pan and bake until golden (about 20 min), stirring often.

I can't wait to try this one.  In high school, I had a friend who introduced me to breaking up Nature Valley granola bars and adding them to vanilla yogurt.  Before then, I wasn't a yogurt fan because I need some texture with my food.  But this was perfect because the granola became the texture.  This little breakfast/snack was portable as well which was great.  However, now that I buy my own groceries, Nature Valley just seems so expensive for a snack.  So making my own granola is a great solution!

Happy baking,
M

No comments:

Post a Comment