Sunday, July 10, 2011

How to find yourself


I have been pondering this a lot lately. How does one go about finding themselves?

I am in this "funk" that I know many go through in their 20's. You don't know who you are, what you like, what you want to do with your life, and who you want to be in it.

I'm hitting it pretty hard right now. Pretty typical I would guess seeming as I am about to graduate from college and leave the nest.

I am ready to find myself, know who I am, and feel fulfilled. But how does one go about doing this?

I never thought this is where I would be at 22. As an 18 year old I imagined 22 as the golden year where you magically become an adult, graduate from college, become successful, find your sole mate, and start a family. Now that I am hear I realize that all of that was nothing more than a pipe dream. Maybe there are a lucky few who get to carry out this perfect life. Not me.

Ya I am graduating from college and yes I am grateful for an education and no debt. But what now? I have no idea.

I thought it would be interesting for me and for this post to research how one goes about finding oneself. Here is a summary of what I found:

- Give back. Volunteer. Help others with no expectations.

- Love yourself. Don't rely on others to love you for your fulfillment, love yourself and let that be enough.

- Own who you are and accept that not everyone will accept it but that's OK. Stop modifying yourself for others. Be you.

- Rid yourself of crutches and bad habits. This makes sense. To me this means be honest with yourself by facing difficult things. If you are turning to food or drugs for relief or as an escape you are hiding from something else. Face it.

- Rely on yourself. Believe in you.

- Figure out a career path that will make you happy by figuring out what you like and don't like and going for that and not money.

- Give yourself quiet alone time, a time out. Get away from it all and be alone with just you.

- Ask yourself tough questions and answer honestly.

- Do what you want to do. Once you find things you like to do and are interested in, do them.

- Be ok with failure. Look at life as a journey, not a destination.

Good Luck,

Riz

No comments:

Post a Comment