Wednesday, June 8, 2011

What's Cookin' Good Lookin' Wednesdays

Hey Guys!

I'm going to try something new here.  Every Wednesday I want to post a recipe that has gone over really well at my house.  So today is the first day of What's Cookin' Good Lookin' Wednesdays (WCGLW for short).

Lets start with a little background info, shall we?  Before the bf and I decided to go vegetarian, I had a lot of reservations.  Being a picky eater, I was very afraid that I would starve to death if I went vegetarian.  I could count the number of vegetables I liked on my fingers and fruits weren't that much better.

However, I had recently turned 21 (woo hoo! par-tay! Just kidding I am a total homebody and don't like the taste of alcohol...with the exception of mojitos) and decided it was time for me to be a big kid about food.  So we decided to take the plunge and just give it a go.  If it didn't work, well hey we tried right?

So I went searching in every corner of the internet for vegetarian recipes trying to find out what we were going to eat.  To my dismay, the majority of what I found was not just a little outside my comfort zone, but all the way in Timbuktu.  So I want to use WCGLW to share recipes that even I didn't turn my nose up to.

So without further ado I give you..... Tortellini Soup!

I found the recipe on theveggietable.com and it goes a little something like this... (fresh prince of belaire anyone? lurv it)

Yield: 2- 4 (more like 2 at my house)
Time: 15 min (if that)
Ingredients:


  • 2 T butter or olive oil







  • 6-8 cloves garlic, minced







  • 4 c vegetable stock (2 soup cans)







  • 6 oz tortellini (cheese, mushroom...; fresh or frozen) (I use frozen cheese)







  • 1½ pounds of tomatoes, chopped (I don't like tomatoes so I skip them)







  • 10 oz spinach, washed, stemmed, and chopped







  • 10 basil leaves, washed and chopped (my basil plant isn't far enough along yet so I use dried)







  • ¼ c Parmesan cheese, grated (optional, but totally delicious)






  • Directions:
    1. Heat butter or oil in the bottom of a large saucepan and add minced garlic. Cook until browned.
    2. Add veg. stock and tomatoes and bring to a boil
    3. Add tortellini and cook until done (if using frozen ,they are done when they float)
    4. Add spinach and basil and cook for a few more minutes
    5. Serve with parm cheese on top and enjoy!

    I didn't think ahead and take a picture of one of my batches but the next time I make it I will update with pictures!

    Happy Cookin'
    M

    No comments:

    Post a Comment