Thursday, June 9, 2011

Decisions, Decisions


In December I will be graduating with a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and a minor in Sociology. Now if you don't already know this, there isn't much you can do with a Bachelor's in Psych. In order to do anything psychology related you have to get a master's or more commonly a PhD. For the record I cannot wait to be done with school so it definitely was not in the cards for me to go to grad school. At least not anytime in the near future. Plus I still don't know what I want to do. Yep I had 4 years to figure it out and I still haven't. I am so envious of those people out there that know exactly what they want to do, go to school for it, and now love their jobs. Jealous. I wish that were the case for me.

So, what do I want to be when I grow up?

Beats me and I am running out of time. I have one option going for me right now. I did an internship in the spring with a large corporate facility of a major company and will be doing another internship with them in the fall. But is corporate America really for me? Will I be happy there? I am in no position to turn down a job since the job market is so sparse nowadays but I just want to be happy. For a while I thought that as long as I was making good money then I would be happy. Now I believe that money can make you comfortable, but not necessarily happy.

You see we moved out to the Midwest from the east coast when I was a sophomore in high school. To sum it up in a few words, I just don't like it out here. Ya the people are nice, I had a great education, the cost of living is cheap, and I am getting a degree from a great university for a great price, but it's just not home. I grew up going to the beach on the weekends with all of my cousins (our Mom has a big family), having dinner on the beach with the family at sunset, dirt biking on many trails and in my backyard, and just tons of outdoor activities. I love the outdoors. In the Midwest there is nothing pretty to look at, no great hiking trails, no weekend trips to Maine, no beach, and with near east coast winters and Florida summers. It blows for someone who feels better just spending time outside.

So here lies my dilemma. In December I will be done with school and have no insurance. Do I just walk into a job most likely in the customer service department in corporate America and stay in the Midwest? Even though the corporate politics seem like high school all over again (the part I didn't like) and everyone reminds me of robots. Or, do I venture out into the world and start over. Move someplace like NC all by myself and get my view and lifestyle but without the guarantee of landing a job that pays what I should be paid with a college degree?

Decisions, decisions.

R

No comments:

Post a Comment