Friday, June 24, 2011

Dessert Recipes

TGIF!

Since I am trying to shed those last 10 LBS I am really watching what I eat. Therefore, all I can think about are desserts. I am that person that would prefer to just order dessert instead of dinner. I am also much better at making dessert than any other meal as I have mentioned before. Sooo I thought since I won't let myself indulge, the least I could do was share some simple desserts that are always a hit.

Trifle

In MA we tended to call it a truffle for whatever reason. A trifle is basically a layered dessert. You can do it anyway you want. All it requires is an imagination and a pretty trifle dish. You don't need one necessarily but if you care about what it looks like then this is what you need.

My two favorite combo's

Vanilla version:

White cake (1)
Cool Whip (3)
Vanilla pudding (3)
Strawberries

Bake a white or yellow cake mix. Cut the cake into cubes.
Make the pudding. I use the kind that you whisk the cold milk in.
Cut the strawberries in half.
Now you layer. Start with cake on the bottom. Then pudding. Then strawberries. Then cool whip.
Pete and Repeat went down the river, Pete fell out, who was left? REPEAT.
Finish with a cool whip layer and slice more strawberries thinly and make a pretty design on top.
Chill. (as in the fridge but you can chill too, it's an easy one)

So of course you can do any layer combo you want but this is a nice and light one, great for summer. You may not need 3 containers of everything, but you always end up using more than you think you will so buy more than you think you need. Also make sure you mound up the layers on the sides so you can clearly see them through the trifle dish. Also try to have the same amount of stuff in each layer so nothing gets lost.

Chocolate version:

Chocolate cake (1)
Cool Whip (3)
Chocolate Pudding (3)
Heath bars frozen (alot, plus more since you might lose them before they get in the trifle)

Same drill.
Except this time you will freeze the Heath bars them break them up really good before you put them in the trifle.
Start with the cake in the bottom, then chocolate pudding, then heath bar, then cool whip.
Repeat.
Finish with cool whip and sprinkle with heath bar pieces on the top to decorate.
Chill.

Enjoy!

The chocolate version is VERY rich. Once again you can use any combo you want. I have seen brownie but that would make it even richer so I don't know about that one. Make sure you get enough heath bar in every layer. That's the best part, you can never have enough.


Trifle's would be fun to do in individual cups as well for dinner parties. More work but it would be cute.

Nieman-Marcus Cookies

Everyone's heard the story, but these really are the best cookies EVER.
2 cups butter
4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups sugar
24 ounces chocolate chips
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 (8 ounce) Hershey Bars (grated)
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups chopped nuts (your choice)

Directions:


Prep Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 36 mins
1 Measure oatmeal and blend in a blender to a fine powder.

2 Cream the butter and both sugars.

3 Add eggs and vanilla.

4 Mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder and soda.

5 Add chocolate chips, grated Hershey Bar and nuts.

6 Roll into 1 inch balls and place 2-inches apart on a cookie sheet.

7 Bake for 10 minutes at 375° or until golden.

Thanks food.com for this recipe. I'll have to double check later to make sure this matches the version we have. It looks the same. These are always a hit. They do take some time though. Especially the grating of the chocolate bar.
Brownies
This isn't a recipe. Just my favorite brownie mix.
Betty Crocker's Fudge brownies.
Love these. They are the best brownie mix out there, hands down. Don't bother getting any other brownie mix, even if this one is a little more expensive. For some reason I don't like the taste of these when they're warm. Weird, yes but just let them cool completely and you be the judge.
After this I really don't know if I can fight the need for chocolate M&M's. I mean one medium bag wouldn't hurt right? As long as I can get lil bro to go with me. He's pissed at me right now. I was a tad bit of a b-i-t-c-h this morning. All I can say is watch out for the wrath of Rizzy, it's not pretty and I am not proud of it. If you piss me off or hurt me in any way, watch out, all I see is red and I take no prisoners. Except for Lyddy of course, because her wrath may just be worse.
Happy weekend, bake something for me!
Riz
P.S. What I am loving today:
1. Tea
2. Shower caps. Lyddy taught me to use shower caps in the shower so I can shower every day and not have to clean my hair everyday. This is necessary after workouts. She's a genius. No I wouldn't have figured this out on my own, or bothered, she's the hair person, it's even her shower cap. Thanks Lyd!
3.

No comments:

Post a Comment