Thursday, June 23, 2011

What's Cookin' Good Lookin' Wednesday

So sorry! This post was meant for yesterday but I was otherwise engaged. My kitty daddy's family is visiting from out of town and they got here yesterday so after I got off work we hurried and went to have dinner with them.  So this is my excuse for being behind on my posting.

So better late than never, here is my recipe for the week...

Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
  • 1 (19 ounce) can green enchilada sauce [I used red cause I couldn't find green]
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 cube vegetable bouillon [I used veg broth cause I couldn't find bouillon]
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes [I don't like tomato chunks so I just used tomato paste]
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1/2 cup vegetarian chicken substitute, diced (optional) [I haven't tried these]
  • 4 (6 inch) corn tortillas, torn into strips [I just sprinkle crushed tortilla chips on top]
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • I like to put rice in there so I add more liquid to compensate**
In a pot, mix the enchilada sauce and water. Dissolve the bouillon cube in the liquid, and season with garlic powder, chile powder, and cumin. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Mix in the beans, tomatoes, and corn. Simmer until heated through. Mix in vegetarian chicken and tortillas, and cook until heated through. Stir in cilantro, and season with salt and pepper to serve. **I sprinkle cheese on top and sometimes sour cream.

This is so easy and quick! Perfect for after a long day of work when you just want to throw dinner together and eat on the couch.

Enjoy,
M

No comments:

Post a Comment