Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Grace

I'll start off by saying that this was a post request put in by my sister. I laid this little nugget on her today in hopes that it may help her out, so here it goes.

I have a small handful of very wise people in my life who I learn many great things from on a regular basis. One of them recently said something to me that really resonated with me and I can say affected my everyday life.

This is how it started. Sometimes we will be talking and he will say "it's ok because you really do matter and you are worth it." This is by far the kindest thing anyone has ever said to me, and it always takes me off guard. No joke we will be in the middle of a conversation and I'll be agonizing over something and he will just stop smile and say "it's ok because you matter and you are worth it." Brings tears to my eyes every time. It is such a genuine and heartfelt thing to say.

This same person also taught me about grace. I tend to be very hard on myself, as does my sister. I would admit that I strive for perfection in all aspects of my life. Perfection is not a healthy thing to strive for folks. Basically what it boils down to is unrealistic expectations and dissapointment. So one day this wise friend of mine said you need to give yourself grace. I didn't quite understand it at the time but after many conversations I have gotten a grasp on it. One of the main aspects of my life we were discussing was school. I say, well I have the ability to get straight A's but I don't. I slack off, I procrastinate and I never do as well as I know I could if I put my all into it. My dear friend says "thats ok." This was mind boggling to me. I was like no it's not ok! (which is ironically the same thing that came out of my sisters mouth today when I said this same exact line to her) He said you set unrealistic expectations for yourself so you will always live a life full of dissapointment and percieved failure. And he was so right. He said you need to give yourself grace and say ya know what it's ok.

So for me grace is about loving yourself and giving yourself a break. I hope that made sense. It was hard to explain out of context.

Sweet Dreams,

Riz

PS: The headaches persist. After researching I think they are tension headaches. But who knows.

PSS: Spell Check isn't working, sorry for any typos.

No comments:

Post a Comment