Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Best of Me


The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks is about high school sweethearts who went there separate ways after high school and cross paths again much later in life.

(Before reading amazon page:) I have to say that I was disappointed with this book. I have loved ALL of Nicholas Sparks' books. It seems like maybe he is being forced into writing (as mentioned in Three weeks with my Brother) with tough deadlines. I understand everyone wants to make money and that's the bottom line, but doesn't that squash creativity? This book just seemed so unrealistic and I didn't feel connected to the characters like I normally do. I didn't feel the connection between the main characters until pretty far into the book and the book ended up being really predictable, even though it wasn't realistic.

(After reading amazon page:) You're probably wondering why I did this before/after thing. Let me explain. I jumped over to amazon's page for the book and came across the Q & A with Sparks on the page. That softened my review slightly. I understand what his thought process was now. Then I looked at other reviews and funny enough many of them felt the exact way I do. Also looking back, I had really high expectations for this book. I was so excited for a new NS book to come out and I loved the plot, probably because I can relate, as Sparks mentioned in his Q & A. However, the book ended up being nothing like I thought it would and I was disappointed. Another reviewer mentioned that they loved Safe Haven and that they felt like he took the change of pace with Safe Haven and ran with it in this book, but didn't totally succeed this time.

All in all, I love NS. He is still one of my favorite authors of all time and I will always read his books and watch the movies.

Riz

No comments:

Post a Comment