Saturday, May 28, 2011

Book Worm


I love to read. I love to read anything that is NOT a textbook for school. I HATE reading for school (sorry Grammie I know I'm never supposed to use hate and use strong dislike instead but I had to just this once). No matter what I do I cannot stay awake while I'm reading textbooks. No matter how much sleep I have had or how uncomfortable I position myself. If I do somehow manage not to fall asleep while reading I still find a way not to read. I cannot absorb the material. I end up reading the same paragraph over and over and over again and still could not tell you what that paragraph said. So bottom line I don't read my textbooks, just reference them. Sorry if that makes me look like an irresponsible student but I'm just not cut out for textbook reading. Kudos for those out there that read their textbooks cover to cover, I really wish I could.

Ironically I LOVE to read otherwise (except for magazines, which I treat as a picture book, Lyd loves this about me, not). Right now my books of choice are sappy love stories and supernatural books. I know I'm probably the coolest kid on the block. Just trying to be honest.


My love for supernatural books can be completely credited to J.K. Rowling. I have loved Harry Potter ever since my teacher started reading them to us in 4th grade (I think it was 4th grade, don't quote me on that one). I have read all of those books too many times to count. J.K. Rowling is the reason why I love to read. Fun fact. When Lyd and I were younger and a new book would come out, our Mom would get off her shift as a waitress and go wait in line at midnight with all the crazies and get us both the new HP book. She would come home and hide them so when Mel and I would wake up we would have to search and find them, like our easter basket routine. What a good Kitty she is (nickname for our Mom). We would then proceed to read the books without a break until we were finished. Good times.


My love for sappy love stories can probably be blamed on the lack of romance in my life. HA! The author that can be credited for my love for love stories is Nicholas Sparks. No fun facts with that one, just my sister and I going to the Kingston Mall and seeing the Notebook, balling our eyes out while an old man in front of us in a wheel chair laughed his ass off while Ally and Noah kiss in the rain. Clown.

So here is a list of my recent reads:

Ahem

1. Love the One you're with by Emily Giffin: It is good so far. It's about a woman who is happily married and runs into an ex that she used to be infatuated with and is having issues getting him out of her head.

2. Something Borrowed and Something Blue also by Emily Giffin: Something Borrowed was made into a movie with Kate Hudson and is either out already or coming out soon. When it comes to books becoming movies I have to read the book and then see the movie or just see the movie. My favorite part of reading is creating your own mental image for the characters so when the watching and reading is done in any other order it ruins it for me. I didn't realize that Something Borrowed was coming out as a movie till I was about halfway through the book so it didn't spoil it for me.

Something Borrowed is about best friends who have an unhealthy relationship and end up having guy problems. I don't want to give too much away.

Something Blue is the sequel to Something Borrowed and I loved it.

3. The Paris Wife: A Novel by Paula McLain: I attempted to read this book. I hate to start things and not finish them, thats just my personality, but I couldn't do it. This book got boring. Probably not romantic enough for me. Too old school. O well, not really o well because I bought it on my kindle but whatevs.

It's written from the perspective of Ernest Hemingways wife documenting their story.

4. A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness: Loved this book. It's awesome. I can't wait for the sequel.

It's about a witch who has tried her whole life to suppress her powers and then meets a vampire and is being threatened by fellow witches.

5. The Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith: I love these books. I don't watch the series. I have finally finished them all. I used to wait for them at the library but finally caved and bought the kindle versions because I was sick of waiting. Also, cannot wait for the sequel, team Damon all the way. I have not read the Stephan diaries and I don't think I will. I don't know if its the team Damon thing or just because I have a feeling they won't be as good, who knows. Unrelated fun fact, team Jacob, Lyd is team Edward, typical.

6. Pendragon Series by D.J. MacHale: This is another series like Harry Potter that I have been reading since Elementary or Junior High I can't remember. I finally read the last installment and was very sad that its over. Which is exactly how I felt when I read the last HP book. While your reading you can't wait for it all to end so you can find out how it all ends and see how everything connects and unfolds together, but once you're at the end you realize that its all over and there is nothing else to look forward to.

7. Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks: This was the last of the Nicholas Sparks books for me. I have read every other one that I have not seen the movie of. I love Nicholas Sparks. So much so that I have pre-ordered The Best of Me which doesn't come out till October 11th. If you are a Nicholas Sparks fan, the only book I would suggest not reading is Three Weeks with my Brother. It was good and all but it basically told the life story of Nicholas Sparks which basically shows where all the ideas for his books come from. This kinda ruined my whole mental image thing, Lyd is reading it now.

I prefer to get library books (except when I have to "shop" in the teen section, kinda awkward when everyone already assumes I am a senior in high school, not college). However, our library is pretty amazing but all the books I want are always checked out.

So since I am an instant gratification person I have been buying the kindle versions. Hate that. Just because I know I could be getting them for free at the library. But the kindle books are just so easy! You don't even realize your spending money!

I use the kindle app on my PC and iphone. I still would prefer to actually have a kindle or ipad but that debate will have to be postponed until I'm raking in the corporate dollar bills. We can only hope.

Until next time,

R

No comments:

Post a Comment